Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August releases - bonus track


So I write a post detailing how excited I am about the slate of films scheduled for release in August, specifying nine different titles, and wouldn't you know it? The first new release I see this month isn't even on the list.

That's because I was not aware of Cold Souls until I saw a trailer for it before (500) Days of Summer last Sunday -- the day after my August preview posted.

Cold Souls is a strange August movie indeed. It's got both the existentialism and the wintry climate of a late fall release, as Paul Giamatti -- playing himself -- places his soul in cold storage in order to help him get through a mental block performing Chekhov's Uncle Vanya. He's learned that temporarily unburdening yourself of the soul is supposed to make things seem clearer, so he goes to an agency that specializes in soul extraction, run by a gentleman with vaguely mad scientist hair, played by David Strathairn. I won't give away too much more, but let's just say that Russian hats are involved, contributing to the movie's anti-August frostiness.

I have a few complaints, but generally I'd say I really enjoyed it. It reminded me at different times of both Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. That is most certainly a good thing.

And it's been a pretty hot August -- we were sweltering at Venice Beach the day before -- so it was nice to have a little chill on our souls in the air-conditioned theater.

No comments: