Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The inception of Inception?


I came across this famous image over the weekend, not for the first time in my life, but for the first time in a good decade.

And my immediate thought was, "This image could be the inspiration for the movie Inception, in its entirety."

Others have probably already considered this, and given how much has been written about Inception, it's very possible there are entire essays out there devoted to how Scott Mutter's famous surrealist photograph influenced Christopher Nolan in the writing of this script and the development of this story. You might call it Nolan's inception to write Inception. But, seeing this image posted on the wall of the gym where I play basketball on Sunday mornings, I had this idea on my own for the first time.

Consider also the text that typically runs along with this image:

I am a pilgrim on the edge.
On the edge of my perception.
We are travelers at the edge.
We are always at the edge of our perceptions.

What do you think?

No comments: