Friday, March 23, 2012

2 excited 2 sleep


Today is the day of my fantasy baseball draft. A day I have described in the past as like your birthday and Christmas combined. My favorite day of the year. (If you're reading this, honey, second only to our anniversary.)

That's right, this afternoon at precisely 4 p.m. PST, I will be drafting a team of 20 major league baseball players who will guide my fantasy baseball fortunes for the next six months.

Naturally, I was too excited to sleep.

So I woke up at 3:33 a.m. and watched 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Most of it, anyway. I still have about 15 minutes left, which is why you won't see it in my Most Recently Seen For the First Time section to your right, if you're reading early in the day.

See, I came to work early today, in order to get out a full 90 minutes before my draft begins. Gotta make sure my internet connection at the coffee shop is good, and I have all the time I need to prepare. So by about 5:20 a.m. I had to shut it off and get in the shower.

Not sleeping is not unusual for the night before the draft. I remember back in the year 2000, I got in only a single hour of sleep. Guess it didn't affect my performance too much, as I ended up winning my first of two fantasy baseball championships that season (the second was in 2010, so I'm looking really good for my third in 2020). Though I should say, that was more accurately called an auction than a draft. Instead of just selecting players in rounds, back then I bid on them using a $260 budget of Monopoly money. Since 2005, though, I've been drafting.

And that's kind of appropriate, because isn't drafting something you do in drag racing? They didn't use the word in 2 Fast 2 Furious, though I know it's a word used in other types of auto racing. Then again, I do still have 15 minutes to go.

Watching 2 Fast 2 Furious today is appropriate, in a way. I wasn't necessarily thinking this when I rented it from Netflix -- more on that in a minute -- but it's a good way to psych me up (as if I need it) for a fantasy baseball draft, because I actually named my fantasy team after this movie back in 2003, the year it came out. Each year my team name has something to do with my actual name, which starts with the letter D. I loved the outlandish title 2 Fast 2 Furious so much, I named my team D Fast D Furious. Good thing I wasn't playing "for slips" that year, or else I'd be out one automobile.

The reason I actually ended up renting it, though, was that a) I needed something I could watch at the gym, which obviously didn't end up happening, and b) I have decided I need to watch the Fast and the Furious movies in order before I can watch last year's hit Fast Five. Why? I don't know. I'm anal retentive, yes, but I've watched plenty of series out of order in the past. For some reason, this time around, I felt I needed to watch 2 Fast 2 Furious, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift and Fast & Furious before I can sink my teeth into the guilty pleasure known as Fast Five.

The whole nod to my fantasy baseball past was just a bonus.

I was actually planning to return it unwatched, though. I need to line up my next movie to arrive by Tuesday, when it's my turn again in Lady's Choice Movie Night. With all the preparation for fantasy baseball -- and with my sister in town for five days, ending yesterday -- I hadn't had time to think about trivial things like the second Fast and the Furious movie. Since I hate returning movies unwatched, thank goodness for pre-draft jitters.

And I have to say, as much as no one seems to like this movie, I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far. I mean, for what it is. It's kinetic and busy and full of activity.

Just like my mind, exactly 9 hours, 13 minutes and 34 seconds before my favorite activity of the year is upon me.

No comments: