Friday, March 30, 2012

Starring Julia Roberts and Audrey Hepburn


The first time I saw this poster I thought:

"Who invented the time machine that brought back Audrey Hepburn from the early sixties to star in the new Snow White movie?"

I guess I'd have to be slightly more specific and tell you which new Snow White movie: Mirror Mirror, which opens tomorrow. (Ignore the date on the poster -- it does in fact open tomorrow. Snow White and the Huntsman, starring Charlize Theron and Kristen Stewart, opens June 1st.)

This bright yet minimalist poster makes Mirror Mirror look significantly less somber and gothic than its counterpart. But that's okay. See, Audrey Hepburn had quite the knack for comedy.

Seriously, how is actress Lily Collins (Phil's daughter) doing such a dead-on Hepburn impersonation? If you find out, let me know. With her pixie hairdo and her pursed, full lips, it's pretty much like Holly Golightly walked off the set of Breakfast at Tiffany's and donned a tiara.

The funny thing is that this poster actually reminded my wife of a different Audrey -- Audrey Tautou, of Amelie fame. I can see that, I just see Hepburn more. But now I wonder if anyone ever consciously noticed the similarity between the Audreys, Hepburn and Tautou -- I'll have to look that one up.

But it's not as though Collins is particularly reminiscent of Hepburn in her daily life. Here's how you'll more typically find her:


The hair length really makes the difference. A beautiful girl, to be sure, but not one who instantly makes me think of Hepburn. In fact, I'm getting a bit of a Jordana Brewster vibe off her. No?

If she has an ounce of Hepburn's charm, this could really be a watchable movie.

Two other quick things I want to mention about Mirror Mirror:

1) Is there an accidental subliminal meaning behind this poster? Roberts, once a darling young ingenue like Collins herself, casts the young actress an envious sidelong glance. Perhaps that's because at 44, Roberts is now nearly twice the age of her 23-year-old co-star. She's officially morphed from Snow White into the Evil Queen. (I don't think the same dynamics necessarily exist between Theron and Stewart -- Theron is still only 36, and the erstwhile Bella seems a lot older than 21 since she's been around forever.)

2) This film is directed by Tarsem Singh, who directed The Cell, which I adore. Learning this suddenly made me very giddy about Mirror Mirror. Reminding myself that I did not go to see the Singh-directed Immortals, and heard very bad things about it, suddenly made me not so giddy anymore.

That's all for now.

No comments: