Tuesday, May 6, 2014

12 Years a Pitt


Sometimes when you are searching for something, you find something else.

I was looking up a poster to use in a post I was about to write tonight, when I came across this ridiculous thing on Google images.

Now, to my great shame, I still have not seen 12 Years a Slave. But I know -- I know -- that Brad Pitt does not have a role even approaching the size that this Italian poster for the movie would indicate.

I also know that the movie would probably not exist without Pitt, as his crucial role in its making has more to do with serving as a producer. So I don't think that this is some incredibly misguided attempt by Pitt to glorify his own role in the film.

I do think it's a very sad indication that someone thought Italian audiences wouldn't go to this movie if it was just a movie about slavery. I'm hoping that same someone isn't accusing Italians of racism, but that someone might be doing that as well.

In any case, I suppose it's one of those situations where the ends may justify the means. If a giant picture of Brad Pitt that makes him look vaguely like a lion got several thousand more Italians to see what I understand is an excellent film, then I guess that's ultimately a good thing.

Right?

Do I sound unconvinced?

No comments: