Sunday, October 9, 2016

Movies as farts


I'm sorry if being greeted by the word "fart" on my blog offends you. Let's just say it's not the most offensive dirty word you'll be encountering with regularity this weekend. (Thank you, Donald Trump, for committing political suicide 11 years ago -- and then doubling down on your political suicide through two callous non-apologies.)

But I wanted to tell you about an epic thread in my Flickcharters Facebook group, and it's about farts.

This may be a meme going on elsewhere -- in fact, I'm pretty sure it is -- but the thread is 24 hours old and counting in our Flickcharters group, and still yielding creative and hilarious results.

The assignment is simple: "Describe your last fart using only a movie title."

This set us off quickly to work, and we haven't stopped. In fact, I may continue adding on to this post as long as the thread keeps going. We'll have to see. But I've got the time to write it now, so I won't wait until it finishes, which would ordinarily be the best idea.

Because there are so many, I will just give them to you in a large information dump, in the order they were presented, rather than ranking them or otherwise presenting them separated by quality. However, I will use a code to show you my thoughts on them. If I bold a title, I consider it a really good one. If I put a title in italics, I consider it to be lame. The other ones will be in the middle. To show you which ones I submitted, I will bold those and put an asterisk after them. Yes, I am going to imply that the ones I submitted are all "really good ones" (even though they probably aren't) just for the purposes of this system of classification. Lastly, I'll leave out the ones that were repeated, but I will tell you up front that three different people (who obviously hadn't read the thread very closely, but at a certain point that becomes increasingly impossible) offered up the icky title There Will Be Blood. (Icky but oh so great.)

Shall we start?

A Mighty Wind
Breathless
Sweet Smell of Success
Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair
The Wild One
Bustin' Loose *
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Autumn Sonata
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs * (my favorite of mine - got eight likes and two comments)
The King's Speech
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
The Wind Will Carry Us
Something Wicked This Way Comes *
An Inconvenient Truth
Magnum Force
Blowup
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (my favorite that somebody else did)
Pillow Talk
Gone With the Wind
The Saddest Music in the World
Duck Soup
The 400 Blows 
A History of Violence
Don't Look Back
Fire Down Below *
Backdraft
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Burssels * (leave it to me to do one that just makes a joke of the premise)
The Filth and the Fury
Splash
Sicko
I Can Do Bad All By Myself
Death Blow
The Dark Knight Rises
Air Force One (this was an unusually good stretch)
The Wind Rises
Scent of a Woman
There Will Be Blood
The Sting *
Don't Look Now
A Monster Calls
The Sound of Music
The Great Escape
Tremors
It Follows
Of Mice and Men
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Run Silent Run Deep
Don't Breathe
Blow Out
The Day the Earth Stood Still
It Happened One Night
Unforgiven
From Russia With Love
Rebel Without a Cause
Some Like It Hot
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
Bringing Down the House
Deep Impact
Killing Them Softly
The Accused
Poison
The Fast and the Furious *
Louder Than Bombs *
The Stink of Flesh
The Force Awakens
Steel Magnolias
Tootsie
All Quiet on the Western Front
Despicable Me
Silence of the Lambs
Dawn of the Dead
Black Beauty
Deathgasm
How to Lose Friends and Alienate People
The Fugitive
Slither
Very Bad Things
The Dirty Dozen
The Big One
The Big Heat
Bringing Out the Dead
True Grit
Up in the Air
Hard Boiled
Force Majeure
Everybody Wants Some!!
John Dies at the End
Hellraiser
The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears
Oliver! (there was a context for this)
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
The Fog
Black Cauldron
Joyful Noise
Breakin'
Dante's Inferno
The Parent Trap
The Mist
Mystic Pizza
Chariots of Fire
Earthquake
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Shining
Inside Out
Look Who's Talking
WarGames
Hard Rain
Bring It On
Cruel Intentions
Coffee and Cigarettes
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Happening
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Groundhog Day
Magnificent Seven
The Nightmare Before Christmas
It's a Wonderful Life
What Lies Beneath
Serenity
Hot Fuzz
The Horse Whisperer
Lethal Weapon
Superbad
Once Upon a Time in the West
As Above, So Below
Look Out Below!
Blazing Saddles
Return of the King
Doom
The Sum of All Fears
Wind Talkers
The Music Man
The Equalizer
Death to Smoochy
Fear
Shooter
The Departed
13 Hours
Nutty Professor
Children of the Corn
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
I Saw the Devil
Exit Through the Gift Shop
The Big Short
The Purge
The Enemy Below
K-13: The Widowmaker
Heat
Non-Stop
Rear Window
Hostel
Chocolat
Kazaam
The Hateful Eight
The Prestige
The Illusionist
Oblivion
Event Horizon
To Kill a Mockingbird
Wet Hot American Summer

One guy did about 75 of the last 100, and managed to effectively kill the thread.

Okay, enough of that.

No comments: